Sunday, March 13, 2011

Twenty Years!

I have been busy lately but last month my Tim and I celebrated our twentieth wedding anniversary.  While there has been so many activities that we did to celebrate this 20th anniversary, including an extended trip to Salem, February 23 was the real celebration day!  It so happened that I worked on that day which means that I didn't even have any chance to do something to make our anniversary special.  Well, I did make dinner, but I also left for bible study after eating.  Tim on the other hand was busy.   He brought lovely flowers for me - 'Red Intuition' roses and 'Star Gazer' Lilies filled the vases at home.  He gave me another diamond ring!  It seems to me that he presents me with a diamond ring every ten years.  There is one big problem - I like to work in the garden and I do not like to wear my precious rings when I am gardening.  I've been trying to wear one of them each time we go somewhere special such as on our Monday lunch dates but then I come home and take it off before I do some garden work.  As a result I end up not wearing anything which makes Tim cringe.   

The other thing he did was to play a song that we both  used to like - "Right Here Waiting for You" by Richard Marx.  Tim and I met in the Philippines and we got engaged before he came back to the US.   After that we wrote to each other every day and we talked on the phone once a month.  This is a time when an hour of phone call to the Philippines would cost him two hundred dollars.  There were no such things as cell phones, emails, internet, Facebook, etc.  We wrote and we sent tapes to each other.  This song was one of our favorites because it described our relationship to the point.  J

Anniversaries are milestones.   They reflect the distance we've traveled together.  It is a time to reflect on the past year or decade of life together.  Tim and I made it this far through God's grace.  We can say that we face a future that is not like the past as no two years are ever the same.  We will have a child in college.  Life will be really different.   The children in the house will be reduced to two and probably our finances will be interesting.  :)  We will have to brace ourselves to the One who does not change - God.  He is our only hope; he will renew our strength.  With His grace we will soar on wings like eagles; we will run and not grow weary; we will walk and not be faint. 

I thank God for Tim and our life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Response