Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Story Behind the Shell

Sea Snail Shell

Sometimes even a simple picture can initiate a story.  While Tim was on a business trip last week, I sent him a picture of my recent drawing.  He texted me back:

"Where did you get a shell like that?"

I didn't respond because Miriam and I were just leaving the house to go on a date.  So we get to the place and ordered our food.  As we waited I checked my phone again for Tim's message(s).

"I have to admit that at first I thought it was a cinnamon roll? :) "

"Wait,is it a cinnamon roll?"

"I'm sorry."

So I answered back, "Lol it's a shell."  But during the time Miriam and I were at the restaurant I kept trying to understand why he thought it was a cinnamon roll.  And figured out that it must be the highlights that looked like cream cheese frosting.  So I thought maybe I'll change the color next time.

Days later he comes back from his trip.  Miriam tells him of the struggle I had in figuring out his interpretation of my drawing.  Lol. And the revelation was hilarious.  He was right the first time in thinking it was a shell. Whew!  I was relieved to know that I can draw a simple shell!  The cinnamon roll emerge only because I didn't reply to his text immediately.  He thought I was offended, therefore he had to work harder to interpret my work.  A cinnamon roll might be better!  And because I still did not respond after that more enlightened response, he began to doubt again.  At this point he was really lost but he is so sure I was really mad.  "Why is she not responding? What is it really?"   There was a burst of laughter in the house.

And the moral of the story:

My silence doesn't always have something to do with you 
or what you are thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Response