Costco sells Torta bread which is so good for making sandwiches. The only problem with this soft yummy bread is its short shelf-life. During the holidays, we had a lot of left-overs from entertaining and I was determined not to allow them to get sucked into garbology. This recipe -modified from an old recipe- is ideal for any of the sweeter breads such as torta or Hawaiian bread. This bread pudding is custardy inside and crispy on top!
- 7 pieces day-old torta bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup craisins
- 7 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Tear bread into small pieces into an 8 x 11inch baking pan. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. Sprinkle with craisins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!