Sunday, November 29, 2009

Time to Rest


Even trees rest so that they will be renewed for the next crop.

If it was a normal Sunday, I would be at church now singing, listening to Pastor speak, greeting people and then be in a Sunday school.  My coffee would have been left only halfway consumed and cold.

My coffee cup is empty and the cup still feels warm. I am looking at the Christmas tree and listening to Kenny G's Christmas album.  I am home and sick.  I was all ready to go but Tim told me to stay home.  He understands me well enough to know what is best for me.  He gave me a specific instruction to take it easy and rest. 

For a wholesome living, the bible recommends a day of rest every seven days.  Most of us consider Sunday as that day of rest.  However, because Sunday is free we feel alright to commit a little bit of that time...then one more...and just another one more until we end up exhausted at the end of the day.  Then we realize that the purpose of Sunday has been totally defeated.
"Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest and the slave born in your household, and the alien as well, may be refreshed.  Be careful to do everything I have said to you." ~ Exodus 23:12-13a
I'm here resting now...and yet, I did not choose to rest.   I am being reminded to take rest more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Response