Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Predator


The hawk waited on the fence for another opportunity.
 
Whenever the sun is out, we bring Lala, the dove, outside to enjoy the solar warmth and the company of the wild birds in the backyard.  We maintain a bird feeder that attracts American Gold Finches and White-crowned Sparrows.   These wild birds like to go around Lala's cage to glean seeds.   

The other day while I was pulling off dead leaves from my potted plants I heard the sound of flapping wings. It was so violent that I turned around to see Lala which was not a foot away from my back.  And as I turned my upper body swinging my arms for added balance I touched a feathery moving object.  There was a gush of information that simultaneously rushed to my brain.  From what I felt, the dove probably has escaped from the cage.  A split of a second later, my eyes sent new information - I actually touched a hawk.  Yes, a hawk that tried to harass Lala from its cage.  This hawk was not inhibited by my presence or my proximity to its intended prey.  When it flew it did not go very far.  It stayed on the fence for a long time until I went very close to it - I guess it got scared by my camera.

Scared position.

Relaxed position.
Lala was traumatized.  The cooing dove did not make a sound for the whole afternoon and evening that followed.  It only started to coo again the next day.  Sleep must have helped her forget the experience.

Sometimes we are also confronted with predators.  We lose the peace that we are so accustomed to and suddenly we shift into a mode of crisis because we realize that we are no longer control the situation.   It is not all bad to recognize the presence of a predator because it is then when we begin to examine the ways we handle our wings.  We become more alert and observant so that we can sort out the truth from the lies lest we get deceived.   

"For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,
and the complacency of fools will destroy them;
but whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm." 
~ Proverbs 1:32-33 NIV 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Response