Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Word of Emancipation

Tomorrow Mom and Johnnye will be here for an early Christmas with us.  We are very excited to have them over.  It must have been a five years or so since the last time they came to our house.  Since they don't visit us very often, everytime they come seems like I have to try hard to guess what they think is alright, you know, daughter-in-law trying to gain approval.  Just kidding.  The truth is I just have to clean a lot more than we normally do.  When it comes to home maintenace and orderliness, my in-laws are the paragons while Tim and I are the caricatures.  A couple of weeks ago I was expressing my worries about the inferiority of my home maintenace like the rough paint on the baseboards and the uneven line of paint between the walls and the ceiling.  Tim was listening as I counted all those things but then he interrupted my littany and told me the most liberating statement I've ever heard in my life.  "Your home is already a shock to their sensibilities."  That's what he said.  I repeated his statement slowly and absorbed it carefully to understand every meaning attached to it.  Then I laughed.  I laughed loudly.  For some reason that made me really happy and emancipated.   "It is already a shock..."  There is no reason to prove otherwise anymore.   Beyond that I also figured out that I, not just my house, am also a "shock to their sensibilities."  Just imagine the liberation that I have now.  I'm free to be me now.

There is hope in freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Response