Sunday, December 14, 2008

Philippines: Miriam's First Visit

We had a good trip to the Philippines. The flights were uneventful other than being delayed for a number of reasons. We had to stay in Tuguegarao for the night of November 8th because it would have been to late to travel to Ballesteros and Abulug. Eddie and Nenie gave us a ride to Abulug. Miriam and Beth joined us along the way. We arrived at about noon where a lot of my sister and her husband, cousins and their children, Aunts and Uncles waited to see us. We ate a lot of pansit, adobo, and fried fish! It was a reunion for me and a big welcome for Miriam. A lot of relatives to see again. How people changed! I sure changed too. The place is the same except for the fact that Inang is not there anymore. I wished she was still there. I missed her so much. It will never be the same again. I was very glad to see my dear sister and her family. It was good to meet my brother-in-law and their children: Jacob, Jeremy, Liwliwa, and Lyka. They are so cute to talk to.

Miriam particularly enjoyed the following:
1. The beach
2. Jollibee
3. The rice fields
4. Unusual toys (ducklings, fish, kappi, crabs, etc.)
5. Food at the Jeepney Restaurant at the Intercontinental Hotel in Manila
6. Teaching her little cousins how to speak English
7. The Rain
8. Etc.

Her Kill-Joys:
1. Language Barrier
2. Food in Abulug
3. Lack of Private time
4. Staying at the Hospital

We also spent a night in Lasam where my cousin Miriam lives and works as a Elem. School Principal. Bong, her husband, very kindly came to pick us up from Abulug. Harris was there and we got to meet Matet in Manila later on. Matet is reviewing for her board exam for Pharmacists. She's a smart girl. She graduated from the University of the Philippines.

We proceeded to Tuguegarao on the 17th. We spent the day in a new resort in Tuguegarao (i forgot the name). Beth and Carlo and their children Cheska and Brian were there all the way from Aparri. Eddie and Nenie and all their children (Gigi, Dianne, Manix, and Eden) were all there. There were lots of food and swimming! But eventually Miriam was soon to getr sick.

Late that night we had to bring Miriam to the emergency room where she was admitted to stay overnight. She had to be "rehydrated". It was an interesting experience for her. It was uncomfortable for her and inconvenient for everybody especially my cousin Eddie and Nenie. Thank God she survived and was happy again the next day.

We spent two days at the Manila Intercontinental Hotel. Did a lot of shopping at Shoemart and Glorietta. Then we flew back home on the 20th of November.

Miriam and the Philippine Sea

Liwliwa and Miriam


Cousins looking alike

Matet's Birthday at Max's

Happy Student-nurses and Miriam

Miriam with relatives

Gigi and Dianne

Beth (She used to be small)

Miriam in the rice fields

Miriam and Miriam

Liwliwa (Joy)

Tropical fun in November


Posing with the Galvans

Miriam with the Yabises

Driving a kalesa in Enrile

Eddie and Nenie: "Goodbye"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Response